8 Days Silk Road Highlights
The Silk Road has a long history that can be traced back to 2,200 years ago. The Silk Road was an ancient trade route crossing through regions of the Asian continent connecting the East and West. Trade on the Silk Road played a significant role in the development of the civilizations of China. The well-known Silk Road began from Chang'an (the old name of Xi'an), extended to farther west, then finished in Rome. Within China, the classical Silk Road goes through Xi'an, Lanzhou, Jiayuguan, Dunhuang, Turpan, Hetian, Kashgar.
This 8-day tour includes the must-see sites on the Silk Road, including Urumqi, Turpan, Kashgar, Jiayuguan. You will acquire an overall understanding of the ancient Silk Road in a short time of period.Tour itinerary
Day 1. Arrive in Urumqi - contact us in advance to confirm your arrival time.
Met and transferred to hotel. Overnight in Urumqi 4-star hotel
Day 2. Urumqi - Heavenly Lake - Kashgar
In the morning, take a ride to Heavenly Lake, and enjoy the stunning scenery there. In the afternoon, fly to Kashgar.
- Heavenly Lake: Located in the Heavenly Mountain (Tianshan), it has a stunning mountain view.
Overnight in Kashgar 4-star hotel.
Day 3. Kashgar - Urumqi
Today is a busy day. You will see the well-known Sunday Bazaar, livestock market, Apa Hojia Tomb, Idkar Mosque, and the old town of KAshgar. Take an evening flight back to Urumqi.
- Sunday Bazaar: It is said that this is the biggest market in the world, you can purchase all products apart from your parents.
- Idkar Mosque: It is the biggest mosque in Xinjiang. The mosque with its square is for local Uyghurs to pray.
- Apa Hoja Tombs: It is a family cemetery with stunning blue tiles shining in the sun.
Overnight in Urumqi 4-star hotel.
Day 4. Urumqi - Turpan
Visit Xinjiang Museum to see the mummies, particularly the Loulan Beauty and Xiaohe Beauty. Afterwards, take a ride to Turpan. Turpan Basin is a key part on the ancient Silk Road, with well-preserved ruins and grottoes. You will visit Astana Ancient Tombs, Karez Irrigation System, Ancient City of Gaochang, and Bezklik Grottoes.
- Xinjiang Museum: It houses numerous relics and exhibitions. Mummies from Taklamakan desert and Turpan basin will amaze you with their features.
- Astana Ancient Tombs: It was a public cemetery 1,000 years ago for the citizens of Gaochang Kingdom. You will see dried corpses and tomb paintings.
- Karez Irrigation System: This underground tunnel provides enough water offering to the farmers and their field to support local civilization in the dry and hot oasis.
- Ancient City of Gaochang: It was built in the 1st century BC. Gaochang has huge city wall and various temples. Unfortunately it was abandoned in the civil war of Mongolians.
Overnight in Turpan 4-star hotel .
Day 5. Turpan - Express train to Liuyuan - Dunhuang
Visit the Ancient City of Jiaohe, Sugong Minaret in the morning. Take 4-hour express train to Liuyuan in the afternoon, then take 2-hour ride to Dunhuang.
- Ancient City of Jiaohe: Built on a 30 meter terrace, Jiaohe ruins represents the splendid local history.
- Sugong Minaret: Built in 1777, also called Eming Tower, it is a representative of Uyghur architecture.
Overnight in Dunhuang 4-star hotel .
Day 6. Dunhuang Highlights
In the morning, we will go to Mogao Caves, the most important site on the Silk Road. The colorful fresco and statues will tell you various stories about Buddha. In the afternoon, we will visit the Mingsha Dunes and the Crescent Moon Spring in the desert.
- Minsha Dunes: It means Singing Sand Dunes. The sand was moved from Taklamankan desert to form the dunes in the history.
- Mogao Caves: Though it was stolen many times in the history, Mogao Caves still has well-preserved frescoes with colorful paintings that look like finished by yesterday.
Overnight in Dunhuang 4-star hotel.
Day 7. Dunhuang - Jiayuguan
Take a ride to Jiayuguan (5 hours). Once we get there, the Jiayuguang Fort will impress you by its imposing old constructions. We will climb up on a restored section of the Great Wall as well.
- Jiayuguan Fort: The end of the Great Wall in Ming Dynasty and it looks like a huge city to guard the border in Ming Dynasty.
Overnight in Jiayuguan 4-star hotel.
Day 8. Depart from Jiayuguan
Transfer to airport and you may fly from Jiayuguan to Beijijng or Shanghai for your ongoing journey.
End of the trip.
Meal: B reakfast
|Meetup Location||Urumqi airport/rail station pickup|
- Accommodation in 4-star hotel (Twin room)
- Transportation by chartered car or public bus
- Train tickets: Fast train Turpan-Liuyuan
- Meals as listed in the itinerary
- Flights: Urumqi-Kashgar-Urumqi
- Meals as listed in the itinerary
- English-speaking local guides
- Entrance tickets as mentioned in the itinerary
- Flight to Urimuqi and depart from Jianyuguan
Have questions about this tour?
Member since 03/07/2017